Translate

The truth no one speaks of




Author: Anonymous
Title: A woman in berlin
Published: 01/09/2011
Pages: 320








     Between April 20th and June 22nd of 1945 the anonymous author of A Woman in Berlin wrote about life within the falling city as it was sacked by the Russian Army. Fending off the boredom and deprivation of hiding, the author records her experiences, observations and meditations in this stark and vivid diary. Accounts of the bombing, the rapes, the rationing of food and the overwhelming terror of death are rendered in the dispassionate.

     The subject of what happens to woman in war is one I find to be a truly harrowing. The level or rapes committed during the second world war is so high it is beyond comprehension. And yet these women where expected never to talk about and to simply carry on with their live as if nothing has happened. It was with this in mind I chose to pick up and read this writers account of what happened to her as the Russian forces entered berlin.

     The author chose to remain anonymous when the book was published. I would say I understand but that would be a lie not in my most feverish nightmares can I begin to comprehend what she went through. after the wars she took a collection of three note pads and other scribberlings and distilled her experience in this book. At times it brought me close to tears. From all accounts given by those few people who knew her she was a professional journalist, and this come across in her writing style. It reads lightly for such a disturbing story. And whilst you may feel the need to take a break due to the subject matter it wont take long to get through the book.

     I think you have to give her credit. She writes about her multiple rapes and gang rapes with a detachment that comes across as what we would probably refer to as ptsd. Not that in anyway does she make them feel an less harrowing.  She also manages to bring some lighter even at times funny moment between her and the others she shares her bombed out home with.In all honesty I think if it wasn't for these points it would all most make the book unreadable. You would be dragged so far down you couldn't see the light any more. And I think your heart would simply break for her suffering.

     I'm not sure glad is the right word for it but I read it. And it will stay with me if not forever but for the foreseeable future. I would recommend everyone to read this book. I would only say take your time and be prepared for a journey that will defiantly leave its mark on you. be it sorrow, anger, or utter disgust. its worth learning this writers story.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts