Translate

A night in the drunk tank




Author:James Lee Burke
Title: The neon Rain
Published: 1987
Pages: 320








     Johnny Massina, a convicted murderer bound for the electric chair, has warned Dave Robicheaux that he's on somebody's hit list, and now the homicide detective is trying to discover just who that is before he ends up dead.

     Burke's Robicheaux has been around a long time. It was only because I happen to be looking for crime books set in New Orleans that I came across this. I think its safe to say this fit the bill. It Starts of in the way great old Noir films do. A dead mans final statement to a warn down cop that his life in danger. And so beings a desperate race against time across a rain drenched New Orleans. And so begins the hardboiled adventure.

     The main character Dave could have stepped straight out of a Raymond chandler Book. Its that broken down cop who's just trying to do his best whilst trying to avoid the bottom of a bottle or a lead slug to the heart. A Vietnam vet and recovering alcoholic his life has never been what you would call easy.  There are time when you find your self willing him on just a bit further just so he can make it out alive. Along the way we get introduced to a rouges gallery of cops and bad guys. Most memorable for their own reasons.

     The writers descriptions of New Orleans take me back to the brief period I spent there. The rain drenched streets Mixed with the colours and flavours of a myriad of cultures . I don't believe there is anywhere else quite like it. But this is a world most tourist never get to see. The criminals Hail from all over the world to bring misery to Robicheaux life. There is a far reaching conspiracy with may or may not lead to the highest levels of his own government thrown in for good measure. This is about a man in way over his head. At times I found the story a bit chaotic as it meandered and wondered off. I later discovered that when he writes these story's he does so from chapter to chapter rather than an over all plan. Having said that it always seems to get back on track some where along the line. And I never felt annoyed by it.

Over all I really enjoyed the book. Whilst I do except that the use of racial slurs might be enough to put some off. I think its worth a go. It took me back to the first time I read detective books from the 50's. About burnout cops and over the top criminals. With a level of violence and blood that borders on the grotesque at times. These are not really character's you can relate to. but it will take you on one hell of a ride. And for that I would suggest you give it a go.

Comments

Popular Posts