Translate

One On One by Michael Kelso



Author : Michael Kelso
Title : One On One
Published : 2017
Publisher : WordCrafts Press
Pages : 278
Genre : Crime / Thrillers







     Corrections Officer Emil Sorn believed the inmates at Larsan State Prison were coddled by the system, had too many rights, and never received any real punishment for their crimes. As sergeant in charge of the evening shift, disrespect or disobedience in any form was dealt with swiftly, severely, and quietly. The idea started in a bar after a couple of drinks, and like most ideas so conceived, it should’ve stayed there. If the accused is granted the right to face their accuser, then the victim should have the right to confront the perpetrator. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life. There is a fine line between Justice and Revenge. Emil Sorn is about to cross it

     Let me start out by saying I was given a free copy f this book by the author in return for an honest review. While we are all familiar with the crime genre it always deals with them before, what I mean is that once the perpetrator has justice served on them that is the end of there story. We all give little thought to what happens when they are locked up in prison. Corrections officers are the backbone of our justice system. But we never give them any thought, these are the men and women who make sure that our criminals serve the time they have been given. They have a thankless job and we only ever hear about them when something goes terribly wrong. with that said this book is not about these people who clock in each day and do the best they can for not only our society but also those who are bang up behind bars.

     Whilst this is a short book its scope is much bigger than you would first imagine. This is a book of a family's saga. Our lead Emil Sorn is only a young boy when this authors tale starts out but is within these brief moments that the seeds of who he will become are sown. We are lead to believe that once a criminal is locked up that it should be a matter of them serving out there time in peace and quiet. But for Emil, he has to bear witness to events that will tear his young world apart. With his father working as a corrections officer he ends up being apart of one of those moments that flash up on the news. It is the murder of his father that send Emil on path that no one can stop him from. He is an interesting and well-plotted character. As we follow him through his life we get to see how pain and revenge can twist a person into something they where never suppose to be. I like the way the author does this in small increments. There is no big flip from one Emil to another but a slow twisting of the screws inside his head. It is a corrupting force that once it has a hold of him will never let go. 

     The author does an amazing job as he brings us into a world not many of us can imagine. His landscape is carefully crafted to give us the uninitiated a glimpse into the world of prisons, all the while giving himself scope to tell the plot he set out to do.  This is a book that does not hang around and with so much to tell there is always the worry of becoming lost between the pages. But Kelso managed to keep me where I need to be with enough information that the time jumps didn't jolt me out of the headspace. He shows us the horrors of what can take place behind the wall of any prison in the world. Within these pages, we get to see what can happen when things go very wrong. Like I said before this is also the story of what happens to a man who is consumed with hate and revenge. I'm always drawn in by tales of these nature. I realize we all have these things within us if someone hurt a family member or someone we love what length we not go to, to get revenge. For most though this would be a fevered dream that we would not act on. So in seeing Emil's story, it is this dream acted out on those who have hurt us. But this is not wish fulfillment, the author shows the dark side of such noughts.  The toll it takes is a debt that no one can pay for no matter what the may say. 

     This is a book that kept me on my toes and times made me hold my breath. As the reader, you can see what is going to happen but there is no way to stop this runaway train. As with all stories of revenge, it is the damage done by that person on the way that they never account for. For me, this was handled in a very professional way. the author displays his skill as a writer and keeps you locked in never wanting to turn away no matter how bad things get. He has delivered a fast-paced story that is sure to keep any reader wanting more and ending that manages to keep within the realms of possibility whilst still being shocking.  I look forward to seeing what else he has to offer. 

Comments

  1. Thank you so much, Paul, for this amazing and well written review. I'm truly grateful.
    I would be happy to answer any questions you or your readers might have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mike, I would like to start by congratulating you on such an amazing book. My first question to you is that you choose a profession for your lead as a corrections officer which is a job you held your self how much of what you experienced while doing this job where you able to bring to the book and how much was pure fiction?

      Delete
  2. Good question. I should probably start out with a (SPOILER ALERT) for those who haven't read the book.
    To answer your question, it's some of each. While there were no torture chambers that officers dragged inmates away to, it's a tough job to be in for any amount of time without feeling like some inmates got off a lot easier than their victims. The more true parts of the story were the procedures, like with the cell extraction, and the frustration of dealing not only with unrepentant inmates, but also with supervisors who didn't see the whole picture when an inmate was given a misconduct

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a fair answer I can only imagine it’s not an easy job to do. I was curious to know what gave you the first seeds that would go on to become one on one ?

      Delete
  3. I started out writing short stories. One on one was one of the first I wrote. It was a 3,000 word horror story that dealt more with the torture/revenge parts of the story. When I finished it, I realized there was a lot more story to tell. That's when I started expanding it, adding story and characters until it became a novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So a lot of work went into creating this book, was there any major differences between the first fully completed draft f the book and the one that came to be realised

      Delete
  4. Lots of little things, but the story is basically the same. My publisher helped me edit out a lot of the rough spots. He's been a tremendous help throughout the editing process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I greatly enjoyed the style of your writing everything seem to flow so well . I was curious as to weather you where influenced by any other authors. Or maybe authors you look up to?

      Delete
  5. Oh, yes, my biggest would have to be Mary Shelly. Frankenstein is my favorite book, hands down. She created such empathy in me for the creature that I consider Victor to be the true villain of that story.
    J.R.R. Tolkien gets the second spot for his amazing depth in detail, character, and world building. How amazing is it for an author to create not one but three separate languages for his books?
    Next has to be Timothy Zahn for his amazing grip on the Star Wars universe. Not to mention creating the greatest villain since Darth Vader in Admiral Thrawn.
    And last but in no way least is my friend and fellow author, Mike Battaglia. His book The Danforth State Mental Hospital is one of the truly great horror novels ever created. I wish that more people would discover this brilliantly unique masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to agree with you on Frankenstein having heard so much about it, it was so much more once i read it and in my opinion much better than stokers Dracula. I shall also endeavour to check out your friends book. Obviously one of the main themes of your novel is revenge, do you personally believe there is ever a place for it. Or despite its many flaws is it better to let our justice system do its work?

      Delete
  6. The problem with revenge is it's never ending. It constantly wants more.
    Now I don't think our justice system is anywhere near perfect either. In my opinion it should be more harsh on repeat offenders but also have more programs for first and second time offenders to learn better ideas on how to stay out of prison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on this, it feels like there needs to be more help given to those first time offender. While One on One is a crime thriller and revenge story is this a genre, would you as a writer like to expand in to others genres or is this a place you feel comfortable in?

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't say I feel comfortable calling myself a crime writer yet. The title came out of necessity. As I said earlier, I had written One on One as a horror story. However, once it was finished in novel form, I realized that I could no longer call it horror. Even though horrible things happened in it, they weren't a big enough focus of the story to call it horror, so my publisher and I decided on crime fiction.
    I'm more comfortable with horror, mainly because you have more leeway to write what you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a fair point with horror much like sci fi or fantasy it allows you to go place that a more conventional novel might not allow for. When writing One On One did you find it hard to fit in writing around your life or was it something you felt compelled to do?

      Delete
  8. It was something I had to do. Once I started writing stories, I couldn't stop if I wanted to. I would be in the middle of writing one story, get an idea for another one and start writing that. As for time, i would do a little writing at work when i wasn't busy, and I kept a notebook with me everywhere I went. Now I use a voice recorder app on my phone.
    The biggest time drains were typing and editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling once it gets it’s hooks into you it’s hard to shake off. Have your family and friends been supportive of following a career that some might consider more risky?

      Delete
  9. They're extremely supportive of my writing. Not even I call it a career yet, and I won't until I can make enough income from writing to quit my day job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you continue with this level of writing I’m sure that it won’t be long. Looking to the future if say Netflix was to turn your book in to a t.v series or film have you given any thought to who you would like to play each of your characters?

      Delete
  10. Thank you very much. I hope you're right.
    It's funny you should mention Netflix. My book is listed on a site called Taleflick. It allows producers to look over your book and decide if they want to make it into a movie or show. Taleflick was created by a former Netflix executive.
    As for casting, I think I'd be too excited that it was even being produced to think about casting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope that day will come for you and your story get shown to a much wider audience. I have one final question for you, which might be an obvious one but what does the future hold for writing can I get any hint of what might be to come or what you are working on now?

      Delete
  11. Absolutely. I have my first YA novel finished in rough draft. I'm working on editing it. I'm also writing the next two sequels to One on One. My niece and I are working on a children's book. I'm turning my unfinished zombie book into a screenplay. All while writing more short stories and attempting to market my books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like you have a busy time ahead of you. Well it has been my pleasure to make your acquaintance. To learn more about you, your writing and some of what drove you in writing One On One. I’m sure I will be first in line for which ever of your books comes out first and I wish you all the luck for the future.

      Delete
  12. Thank you very much. It's been my pleasure talking with you as well. You've been a most gracious host.
    I wish you well with your reviews and all your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts