Translate

What wicked games we play




Author: Sarah Pinborough
Title: Behind her eyes
Published: 31/01/2017
Pages: 384 








     Since her husband walked out, Louise has made her son her world, supporting them both with her part-time job. But all that changes when she meets... David Young, successful and charming - Louise cannot believe a man like him would look at her twice let alone be attracted to her. But that all comes to a grinding halt when she meets his wife

     This is book that had on my to read pile for a while. The reviews I had read sung between this is the most brilliant thing i've read to what the hell was that its a complete let down. and having finished it I can see why peoples reactions seem to be on extreme or the other.

    As for the characters. First we have Louise she a single mum looking to start again and find love. A cliché I know but I suppose most are true. her willingness to believe in others and her wanting to help. I have to say some time i found this  to be a little bit irritating. she is some what like the lamb whiling to be lead. And her decision making leave a lot to be desired Then there's Adele the alpha to Louise's Beta. Erratic Impulsive and a suffer of mental health, but she is still able to move Louise to where she wants her. We get to learn more about her as the book takes place both in the present and the past. I've come across this in several books i've read recently and do enjoy it as a means to learn about characters and situations.

     Running through the book is also the theme of our unconscious mind and our dream. And in the ability to control our dream. Spurred on by Adele who suffer from night terrors as a child. This does lead to some interesting stop gaps in the story.

      As for the story its self i felt it gave to much away to early. I like trying to work out what's going. clues scattered throughout and then getting to the final chapters to find out if I'm right. Here we are spoon fed information like a child. and as for the ending I wont spoil it. I just felt it was very disjointed from the story up to that point. Whilst I will admit I did not see it coming because it is essentially imposable to work out.

     So i guess its time for conclusions. I know this book has been compared to gone girl along with every other thriller to come out with a female lead. If you go in think that you will be sorely disappointed. I can't help but feel that the story and the ending are to amiss for me.  I can see why others might enjoy it and if the feeling grabs you it doesn't take long to get through. maybe you can enjoy it more than me.

Comments

Popular Posts