Translate

swan song for the end of the world




Author : M.R Carey
Title : The Girl With All The Gifts
Published : 19/06/2014
Pages : 512
Format : Paperback
Publisher : Orbit






     Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class.When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite. But they don't laugh.Melanie is a very special girl

     So here's the thing with this book I don't remember actually buying it or where it came from. It was sat in my to read pile. Which to be fair is more of a mountain. Perilously close to toppling over in my sleep and taking me out.  A few days ago I saw that the film was listed on the streaming service I use and something clicked in my brain and I remembered I had a copy of the book. So I thought what the heck I'll give it a go.

     The Author  gives us a heroine in the form of Melanie she is not your typical lead for a book of this nature. She comes across as a strong and capable person. Trying to do the best in the situation she finds her self in. All at a very young age. She is teamed up with a band of survivors all with their own motives for Melanie's continued longevity. Helen is of particular interest as she know of Melanie's predicament are still forms a bond with her and will do pretty much anything to keep her alive. Throughout the book they cultivate a friendship as much out of necessity as genuine affection for each other. Each of the characters has drive and focus on the goals they intend to achieve some for good and some for bad. As we passive them but each has there own internal logic for wanting to continue living and how they intend to beat the scenario that has been given to them. 

     I like the authors style of writing. He keeps the pace up the whole way through the story always adding tension and keeping you hooked. The horror elements play out well adding to the desperation of our band of hero's. He does a fantastic job of presenting obstacle in front of his characters and finding realistic choices for them. This is not a scenario that any one will find them self in but he still manages to get you to invest in these people and hope for their continued existence. Whilst the title seems to be some what misleading for the plot of the story I'm not sure what else it could have been with out giving to much away.  Its also interesting to read a book like this set in my home country as there are almost always set I the U.S.  His use of real locations mixed with fictitious gives the story some grounding it what is other wise a horror fantasy story.   

     I enjoyed this book a lot. The different take on the zombie genre was good. I was beginning to think that the whole zombie thing had burnt its self out. But he managed to breath some new life in to it and made me care for what happened to Melanie. If your looking for something in this genre that's a bit different you should give this one a go.

Comments

Popular Posts