Translate

Our first love is always our last




Author : Guillaume Musso
Title : Where would I be without you?
Published : 04/04/2011
Pages: 352
Format : Paperback
Publisher : Gallic Books






     Parisian cop Martin Beaumont has never really got over his first love, Gabrielle. Their brief, intense affair in San Francisco and the pain of her rejection still haunt him years later. Now, however, he's a successful detective - and tonight he's going to arrest the legendary art thief, Archibald Maclean, when he raids the Musee d'Orsay for a priceless Van Gogh. But the enigmatic Archibald has other plans. Martin's pursuit of the master criminal across Paris is the first step in an adventure that will take him back to San Francisco, and to the edge of love and life itself.

     So if you've read some of my other reviews you will know I'm fairly big on recommendations for books by other people. I'm always open to trying new authors when people tell me about them. Which is how I came to find out about Musso. There was only one slight problem here. This author doesn't have to many books translated in to English. And my friend who isn't English had read a bunch of his books that where much more in the crime genre and haven't  been translated yet. But I figured she loved his work so much that what the heck I'd pick it up and give it a go.

     Musso's ability to create enticing character is one you have to give him credit for. The star crossed lovers is one that's been written about since Shakespeare. Martin and Gabrielle starts out as teenagers in love but for reason unknown to Martin things don't work out the way he hopes. There love is like that of all people their age. It burns hot and fast and then is gone. Martin is the epitome of the tortured soul for ever carrying a flame for his lost love. Whilst Gabrielle seem to be trying to put right what once went wrong. Throwing in Archibald is like the chaos element of the story. The characters come of well and are whole enough to give the story meaning.

     The authors writing is quick and light. He manages to create this world that harks back to films of the sixties. The intrepid cop on the hunt for and elusive art thief comes out like some mix of James bond and the Thomas crown affair. I like his style very much and he manages to present us with this magical world. Now this is not one for the die hard crime fans. The romance plays out in the for front of everything that happens through out the story. And while some time is spent on the crimes of Archibald this is not what is most on the authors mind. I feel this book could only really have been written by a French author or possible one from south America. The prose are slightly over the top and whimsical. Also at times the story stretches in to fantasy. But in this case it fits the story. And who doesn't like a bit of escapism. He speak about love as this mythical creature which I don't think really exist in the real world. it does however makes for and entertaining story.

     This book come from a genre I don't normal look to pick up. I'm much more in to the dark and dirty side of crime. But in this case it was a nice detour from my usual fair. It doesn't take to long to make your way through the pages. And I found my self having to smile when it got to the end . He is an author I would be inclined to return to in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts