Translate

Co kraj to obyczaj




Author : Marzena Sowa
Title : Marzi a Memoir
Published : 16/12/2011
Pages : 240
Format : Paperback
Publisher : DC Comics






     “I am Marzi, born in 1979, ten years before the end of communism in Poland. My father works at a factory, my mother at a dairy. Social problems are at their height. Empty stores are our daily bread. I’m scared of spiders, and the world of adults doesn’t seem like a walk in the park.”

     The world of graphic novels is not one I turn to often these days. When i was younger I read them a lot. As a dyslexic I was encouraged to do so as they figured few words would help with my learning to read. However I have long since given up the world of cape crusaders and men of Steele. For the most part it takes a lot o get my attention in this form of reading. The last being Mouse the tale of surviving the holocaust. So it was with only idle curiosity I happen to be flick through this section on my favorite review site and saw Marzi listed.

     Marzena brings you into her story slowly with a tale of carp a Christmas. For the most part the story's she tells you of herself are of care free days spent playing with her many assorted friends.  That is not to say politics don't get pushed to the forefront. Although most of this is towards the second half of the book. I have some basic knowledge of the Solidarność movement that brought an end to communist rule in Poland. The author gives an insight in to what it was like for the family's of those caught up in it. I would point out that at no point is this an in depth account of every thing that happened during the massive upheaval. Just a bit of everyday life in communist 80's Poland. 

     The story's she tell come across as very informative. As the author says hers self it never occurred  to her that her family was poor. Because every one she knew was to. For the most part she seems to have enjoyed her childhood. One of my favourites of these story's is when the children in her block of flats play the pope. Much to the adults dismay and shouts of blasphemy. There are also dark moments from Poland declaring a state of marshal law to the explosion at Chernobyl nuclear power plant.  The illustration for this book are by Sylvain Savoia who seem to capture the mood of the book well. He never uses overly bright tones. The pallet of muted colours fill each page breathing life in to each of these story's. The only colours that stream from the page are white and red. These being the colours of the polish flag and those used by the Solidarność movement. 

     Overall I would suggest giving this a peace of your time. As memoirs go it's light and doesn't take all that long to get through. I spent an afternoon with it and am glad I did. For the most part it the tale of adolescent but also that of the start of change to the eastern block countries. This is the story of a small girls growing up in uncertain times. 
    

Comments

Popular Posts