Translate

How far





Author : Harlan Coben
Title : Promise me
Published : 27/02/2014
Pages : 480
Format : Paperback
Publisher : Orion





     The 2am phone call is from a young, frightened, lost girl who has called the one adult who had promised to help her if she ever got into any trouble: Myron Bolitar. But his help proves not to be enough. He picks her up from a cold street corner and - against his better judgment - is persuaded to drop her at an unknown address. This is a mistake that he lives to regret, for Aimee Biel's final wave from a darkened porch turns out to be the last time anyone will see her...

     I'm a huge fan of Harlan Corben's work and over the past year or so I have devoured 16 of his books including this one. Until a friend mentioned his named I had never heard of him. She told me he was her absolute favourite author and I had to give his books a try. And now here I 'am. So to the book at hand. So this time Bolitar is trying to do a favour for the daughter of some friends. only to find it all blowing up in his face. How can one simple action spiral so far out of control.

     There is probably not much I could right about our hero that hasn't already been said by a million other people. He is fearless and loyal to a fault but if something happens to you he's the one you want in your corner. Myron reminds me of the energizer bunny no matter how many time he takes a beating or nearly dies he just keeps going. Although this maybe due in no small part to his best friend Wins knack of saving him just before the cue de grau. We also get to meet two very different family's in the same situation. Both with daughters missing however they take different paths in the face of events. I kind of feel the Biel's at the start is the one most of us would take of despair and self blame. Where as Mr Rochester's is more the Liam Neeson version of blood and torture. Although I should point out this came out pre taken. They also demonstrate how little they actually know about their teenage daughters. Sending both Bolitar and us as readers careering off in the wrong directions.

     As always Mr Coben's story comes at you fast paced  seat of your pants affair. For me this is a tale very much about family. And despite all the secrets and lies most just want to hold on to each other. The problem come if one part of this equation is toxic. While they both seek the same end result it can be fore very different reasons. I don't have a daughter but if I did this story makes me question how far I would go to get her back safe and sound. The author is a master at his work. Drawing us in to the every adapting tale of these teenagers. I wont spoil the ending but I can safely say the final conclusion I did not see coming.

     This was another enjoyable entry in to the Myron Bolitar series of books. Personally I find his books never take me to long to make my way through. Mostly because I get so drawn in to the plots and don't want to put them down till I find out what's taken place. if you haven't read any of this series yet I would suggest starting at the begging. With all long running series of books there will be spoilers. If not grab a copy and you wont be disappointed.

Comments

Popular Posts