Translate

The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist



Author : Ninni Holmqvist
Title : The Unit
Published : 2006
Publisher : Oneworld Publications 
Pages : 272
Genre : Science Fiction







     Ninni Holmqvist's eerie dystopian novel envisions a society in the not-so-distant future where men and women deemed economically worthless are sent to a retirement community called the Unit. With lavish apartments set amongst beautiful gardens and state-of-the-art facilities, elaborate gourmet meals, and wonderful music and art, they are free of financial worries and want for nothing. It's an idyllic place, but there's a catch: the residents - known as dispensable - must donate their organs, one by one, until the final donation. When Dorrit Weger arrives at the Unit, she resigns herself to this fate, seeking only peace in her final days. But she soon falls in love, and this unexpected, improbable happiness throws the future into doubt.

     For me, this book is well outside my usual comfort zone. Science fiction normally would hold no interest to me when selecting a book to read. So why may you ask did I take this step. Firstly it was suggested to me by someone who I trust completely. She is an avid reader and only suggests to me the best of what she has read.  Secondly for me at least it is one of those books that while listed as science fiction is only a few steps removed from how we live now. As I made my way through this book I could envision a world where this might become a reality. All be it a very troubling one to have to live in. 

     For me, this is a world similar to a film I watched last year so the themes were not all so foreign to me. They are still troubling none the less when human life can be bought so easily even knowing the end result. Could you give up everything you know and for that matter your life for the betterment of others. And what would happen if this was thrust upon you with no conscious choice? I suppose this is a reality for many out in the world. For them, this line of work takes a different form to those thoughts that this author looks at. But this is in many ways a backdrop to the lives we look at in this book. For me, this is the story of two people who find each other under such extreme circumstances. What they found in each other was something that was never supposed to be. It is a tough one to call, they know what their ultimate fate is to be. Yet despite this they find a glimmer of hope in each other's arms, and from that comes a more surprising outcome. 

     I don't have any kids yet, but I like to think that if I did I would fight with everything I had to keep them safe. But this is the question the book ponders, what if you knew that even if they make it into this world you are not going to be around to help them through the ups and downs. Obviously, your choice becomes very limited. So do you still do everything you can or do you simply give up. A great part of the magic in this book is the style in which this author writes. She has a way of slowly pulling you in and before you know it you are completely wrapped up in Weger's fate. It has a very haunting quality to it. Almost like you are remembering a dream from long ago through the fog. It is only with the mention of more modern things that you get snapped back to the fact this book is science fiction and thus set in the future of sorts. With this set always in the background is a cold ruthlessness off what is taking place. A systematic dehumanizing of people considered unworthy and ultimately fit only for others survival. And just when I thought I had the inevitability of it figured out there was a switch and all that I thought I knew was gone.

     This book is just as much sad as it is beautiful, It asked a great many questions of the reader. It is something I go looking for no matter the genre I happen to be reading. It is about the power of love and hope. But as we can always find hope is a double-edged sword. It can lift us up and make us go further than we ever thought. But it can also bring us crashing down, or rather when it is taken away. When all hope is gone it is almost like our souls just give up and say enough is enough and you let go. For me at least this book was a beautiful balance that gave me an experience I think will stay with me for a good while

Comments

Popular Posts