Translate

Sweetpea By C.J. Skuse



Author : C.J. Skuse
Title : Sweetpea
Published : 2017
Publisher : HQ
Pages : 384
Genre : Crime Thriller







     The last person who called me ‘Sweetpea’ ended up dead… I haven’t killed anyone for three years and I thought that when it happened again I’d feel bad. Like an alcoholic taking a sip of whiskey. But no. Nothing. I had a blissful night’s sleep. Didn’t wake up at all. And for once, no bad dream either. This morning I feel balanced. Almost sane, for once. Rhiannon is your average girl next door, settled with her boyfriend and little dog…but she’s got a killer secret. Although her childhood was haunted by a famous crime, Rhiannon's life is normal now that her celebrity has dwindled. By day her job as an editorial assistant is demeaning and unsatisfying. By evening she dutifully listens to her friend’s plans for marriage and babies whilst secretly making a list. A kill list. From the man on the Lidl checkout who always mishandles her apples, to the driver who cuts her off on her way to work, to the people who have got it coming, Rhiannon’s ready to get her revenge. Because the girl everyone overlooks might be able to get away with murder…

     I'm always on the lookout for the next serial killer story, so when I came across Sweetpea I jumped at the chance to spend some time with this book. It is also an added bonus for me to find one set in my home country. For most books in this genre they are set in America, and while I have nothing against it a bit of home flavor always goes a long way. Another twist in this genre for me at least is that our hero is a woman. More often than not serial killers are portrayed as male. I realize this is a mirror to the real world where the likelihood is most serial killers are male. So When it comes to this book we are put right into the head of Rhiannon. 

     This first-person narrative allows us a peek into her world. As one would imagine this is not the most pleasant place to spend time.  She keeps a running list in her head of the people she meets that she would quite happily kill. From the slightest off remark to what might seem like genuine grievances. But at times there is no rime or reason as to what she takes offense to someone. I suppose we have all wished harm on someone who has done us wrong. But these are usually just a fleeting thought and we move on with our lives.  While I would put this story in the column of over the top killers it still gives a nice balance between these moments and our hero trying to balance her everyday life. It was great to see this in action as she still has to cope with turning up to her nine to five. At the time I also found her to be quite funny and the way she can turn a situation around in the blink of an eye to suit her needs. She is by no means someone you would want the miss fortune of running into. but I think behind the safety of some very thick glass she would easily make you raw with laughter. 

     As we come into the narrative she is already in full flight, this is not about how she came to be all though it does cover some of this. The author gives us a killer in the prime of her killing. She is adept at the game she plays and knows the right victims to pick. It is also not so much about a detective trying to bring her to justice. She does not want to under any circumstance be caught. Rhiannon is having far to much fun doing what she does. But with all killers, they get sloppy and therein lies the chance for justice to be served on them. The book overall gave me more than I had thought it would be going in. The author tries to keep the tone a lot lighter than I would have imagined. As previously stated there is a great deal of humor running throughout.  So know for the gruesome bits, we get to witness a few of her kills from the inside. As a man, I have to say some of these did indeed make me wince quite a lot. There is also the lack of ritualistic elements to them, but this I think is a trait reserved for male killers. Women kill for a very different reason which is not to say that she takes no pleasure in it. Her glee at taking a life is abundant and she does like to describe the feeling it gives her.  

     This is a book in the vain of the big over the top Hollywood killers. I think if she existed in real life she may very well have been arrested long ago. But she brings a light-hearted look into this genre, there is fun to be had by the reader. you can slip into her world an see her act out these terrible crimes on people you might just consider worthy of being taken away from this world.  My only thing against this is a bit more blood would have been nice but this is down to personal preference rather than in any flaw of the author.

Comments

Popular Posts