Translate

The Penguin Lessons by Tom Michell



Author : Tom Michell
Title : The Penguin Lessons
Published : 16/06/16
Pages : 240
Genre : Autobiography
Publisher : Penguin







      Set against Argentina's turbulent years following the collapse of the corrupt Peronist regime, this is the heart-warming story of Juan Salvador the penguin, rescued by Tom from an oil slick in Uruguay just days before a new term. When the bird refuses to leave Tom's side, the young teacher has no choice but to smuggle it across the border, through customs, and back to school. Whether it's as the rugby team's mascot, the housekeeper's confidant, the host at Tom's parties or the most flamboyant swimming coach in world history, Juan Salvador transforms the lives of all he meets - in particular, one homesick schoolboy.

     I came across this book after having spent several hours trying to hunt for something different from what I usually read. While I have read a few travel books this seemed to go beyond to something more. From the description, It felt like a blending of autobiography, travel and a story to make you feel better.

     This book to me a little by surprise, The story tom gave me was one of an amazing friendship. From the moment Tom first saves Juan Salvador his life changes and to me, it felt like it was for the better. It 's funny how when we bring an animal into our lives the become something much more than a simple pet. While granted for most of us this usually comes in the form of a dog or a cat these animals become our friends and family. Throughout my childhood and teenage years, I had several animals come to live in my family so I get the connection Tom feels for his beloved penguin. While their story is filled with events most would not have to go through when bringing an animal into our lives, you can see why Tom will go above and beyond for Juan Salvador. As for the penguin, it is through the way Tom talks about him you get a real sense of his personality and I could feel the emotion in every triumph and fall.

     The author gave me a story that I connected with so much, He shows the amazing ability we have to form bonds with those out of our own species.  To say this book gave me a heartwarming experience would be an understatement. From the start it was a book the brought me into there world and the time they spent together. It's funny how a book can lift your mood and make you appreciate that in our world a simple act of kindness can change your worldview and your life for ever. He also manages to show how turbulent Argentina was in the nineteen seventies. Being from England I realize that our two countries have been on frosty terms ever since the Falkland war. The author shows how in the lead-up thing had been starting to fall apart for a long time before. When you combine all these elements you get left with a book that delivers something very special. Not only did I learn so much from this book but it made me feel better and it made me laugh so much.

     While this is a book about the trials and tribulations of raising a penguin you end up feeling like it's a whole lot more. Sometimes you just need to read a book that makes you feel better. I would highly recommend giving it some of your time you won't regret it.

Comments

Popular Posts