Translate

The Rabbit Hunter



Author : Lars Kepler
Title : The Rabbit Hunter
Published :  03/05/2018
Pages : 528
Genre : Crime Thriller
Publisher : Harper Collins








     A stranger wearing a mask stands in the shadow of a garden. He's watching his first victim through the window. He will kill him slowly, make it last - play him a nursery rhyme - make him pay. There's only one person the police can turn to - ex-Detective Joona Linna - but he's serving time in a high-security prison. So they offer him a chance to secure his freedom: help Superintendent Saga Bauer track down the vicious killer known as the Rabbit Hunter before he strikes again.

     Lars Kepler is a pair of authors that I have come to have great trust, Each time I pick up one of there books I get lost for a couple of days. Their books are always well thought out and give me a workout for my mind. I could rave about these two allday and have been more than happy to recommend them to people I know on more than one instance. They have also given me a pair of characters I actually care about and want to see what is happening to them even if they have caused me more than once to have intense if not enjoyable experiences with.

    It was with great anticipation that I dove straight into this book when I got it. For the most part, you know exactly what you are going to get with these two. For me, this is a good thing, like many double acts in the crime genre they have there strength and weakness but the play well of each other and I think if I was to get one without the other I would be left feeling a little lost.  Admittedly this time around the events of the previous book come into play, and I was curious as to how this book would continue to form the last with Linna in prison, and the explanation we get fits well within the confines of there story.  When it comes to the rabbit hunter, he is a great antagonist for our heroes to tackle. This is a killer on a mission and someone who won't be distracted by anything else.

     The very beginning of the book did feel a little slow to me, it works as the set up to the rabbit killer and has its place. Once it gets going though it had me hooked, This is a very dark a brutal story.  The violence of this story is never too far from the reader, these authors never shy away from splashing their pages with a good coating of blood. We also have to contend with a horrific rape that takes place so as you would imagine the details that come with this are not a pleasant experience to read, so be warned. As I have come to expect with these books I was left guessing the identity of our killer right up until the last section. They did throw in a few red herring which at the time led me astray and kept me on my toes.  The use of the kid's rhyme for me only added to the creepiness of the story's, at times verging on more of a horror experience. This is once again a well thought out story, although the book feels a little less procedural than its predecessors I didn't feel like it was lacking in any way.

     This book lives up to what I had been hoping for, It is once again a well thought out and executed book. It also delivered a killer that had some real depth, his motives to me seemed understandable and by the end, while his actions are clearly beyond the law you can feel some sympathy for the situation. If you have read the others this one will be a great addition, and if not you might want to grab a copy of their first book and work your way towards this one.

Comments

Popular Posts