Translate

How long can the truth stay hidden.




Author : Jane Robins
Title : White Bodies
Published : 28/12/2017
Pages : 384
Genre : Psychological thriller
Publisher : HQ






     Callie loves Tilda. She’s her sister, after all. And she’s beautiful and successful. Tilda loves Felix. He’s her husband. Successful and charismatic, he is also controlling, suspicious and, possibly, dangerous. Still, Tilda loves Felix. And Callie loves Tilda. Very, very much. So she’s determined to save her. But the cost could destroy them all… Sometimes we love too much.

      This was another of my Saturday morning finds. It made me curious by the very short blurb on the back of the book. More often than not what's written on the back is quite long and gives you a good feel for what's to come.  So I just had to know why Tilda needed saving from Felix.

     The main heroine of the book is Callie  She is the twin sister of Tilda. While I've read a few books in this genre that involved sister, I think the fact they are twins brings something a bit different. And in their closeness, It brings out something a little weird in both of them. In Callie's case, she felt very obsessed with her sister the famous Actress. She is desperate to save her sister but through this, she is also willing to believe everything people tell her about Tilda. This is a woman who scarifies all she could be for Tilda sake. And as she explored the clue both left by her sister and things she observes I was right there along with her. For Tilda, she is living the good life everything is going right until she meets Felix. Who from Callie's point of very is controlling and abusive.

     At the heart of this story is the interactions between the two sisters. They drew me in and I to started to feel Callie's worry for her sister. This coupled with Tilda's defensiveness as to what is going on makes for some memorable scenes. On top of this we also get flashbacks to earlier points in the sister lives. These serve the story well and give context to some of Callie's actions.

     This is a very well written book its level of suspense built at a quick pace and kept me sustained till the last pages. The plot sets its self up as with two lines that I have seen before. But here's the thing the author manages to combine them and then put her own spin on things. It forms an amazing tale of abuses and betrayal. The way in which the Characters play out their parts built up a level of paranoia in me as I was trying to work out which of these people I could trust. There are definitely some disturbing themes running through the book. When Callie decides to go on a website for other women in abusive relationships we get a glimpse into the how truly brutal it is for women with controlling partners.

      It is a subject that I find especially hard to read about.  I have known women in real life who have been in similar circumstances and only just managed to get out alive. What the author brought to the page felt very close to what they had told me. Robins clearly has done her homework. Overall this is a book about trying to protect people you care for. And in my opinion, she succeeds at doing this.  It brings out the true creepiness of when relationships go bad.

     This is a very addictive book in the hunt for the truth of a very bad situation. I managed to get through this on my day off and I'm glad for this. The story felt hole and by the end, all the elements found their natural place in Callie and Tilda's world. 
     

Comments

Popular Posts