Translate

A single step




Title : Rolf Potts
Author : Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel
Published : 24/12/2002
Pages : 205
Genre : Travel / Non Fiction
Publisher : Villard Books






     Vagabonding is about taking time off from your normal life—from six weeks to four months to two years—to discover and experience the world on your own terms. Veteran shoestring traveller Rolf Potts shows how anyone armed with an independent spirit can achieve the dream of extended overseas travel.

 
    After books, one of my many great loves in life is to travel. It is on the other hand not a genre of book that I go to often. I much more prefer to get out there a see the world. I have been fortunate enough to have taken one long trip spending some months exploring parts of Asia and the U.S, but I fear this was a long time ago. It was only due to a friend that I came across this, He had been reading a book by the guy who did the forward for this one. In it, he said how he had used this on his own travels, so I thought I would take a step back into the world of longtime travel.

     Throughout the book, the author spoke with a great passion for a topic he clearly has a great deal of love for. Having spent the greater part of his life doing exactly what he preaches. I know for a lot of people the thought of quitting their job and taking off for months or perhaps even years to explore the world is a scary prospect, and to be perfectly honest with you it is. But what Rolf gives you is a break down of all the stages that such a trip will take and in the process makes it all little less stressful. Each chapter deals with one specific aspect for the long-term traveler. From how to start planning your trip all the way to how you deal with the return to normal life. 

     The information you get from this books is not the sort you get from a travel guide. There are no lists of sight you must see or places you absolutely have to go. For me, it felt a lot more like a guiding hand than a driving force. You are better off thinking of it as having a conversation with a friend who wants to look out for you. And in doing so there were some anecdotes that made me laugh and also reminded me of some of the scrapes I had gotten my self into.The way its presented makes it easy for anyone to get to grips with and I found myself flipping back and forwards through the book taking from it what I needed.

     Rolf doesn't just ask the reader to take his word on things, personal testimonials are used at the end of sections to allow you to gain some perspective on what it takes. This also shows you that whatever you are worried about someone has been in that exact situation before you and made it out the other side.  And while not covering every single thing that could possibly go wrong or right for that matter, he does give lists of websites and blog for people to check out if they wish to go a little deeper on their research into any aspect that may concern them.

     One of the points that he does try to drive home is that vagabonding can be achieved by pretty much anyone. And I know as you read this you may well think that I could but I don't have the money or time or whatever reason you have given yourself for not doing it. But here's the thing as the author says himself it all depends on how much you want it. When going on a journey such as this it requires sacrifices and this will not be an easy thing to do. But as the saying goes I didn't say it would be easy I said it would be worth it. 

     I would say that if the thought appeals to you then this book would be a great place to start. It will give you a small taste of what it's like. And should you get to the end of the book and think well this really doesn't feel like a way of living I could cope with. Then at least you've only wasted a little time and the price of the book. But theirs always the possibility that in reading this you will have taken the first steps towards a journey that you will never forget.

Comments

Popular Posts