Translate

A simpler life?




Author : Timothy Ferriss
Title : The 4-hour Work Week
Published : 06/01/2011
Pages : 416
Genre : Non fiction / Motivation
Publisher : Vermilion







     Forget the old concept of retirement and the rest of the deferred-life plan - there is no need to wait and every reason not to, especially in unpredictable economic times. Whether your dream is escaping the rat race, experiencing high-end world travel, earning a monthly five-figure income with zero management, or just living more and working less, this book is the blueprint.

     So this is not the sort of book I would normally read but my boss at work is forever trying to expand my understanding of business and how to get the sort of life you want. He is fully aware that while I enjoy working with him this is not a forever job for me. So he suggested I give the 4-hour working week ago maybe it would give me some idea as to how I can get to spend a little more time enjoying my life.

     This book is a curious thing, part memoir for Ferris and part self-help book to a less stressful life. The book is split into several section each one dealing with a certain aspect of how to get to a point where life can become fun again and you don't feel like you have to wait till your sixties before you can start taking those trips or learning the instrument you've always wanted to but not had the time to do. Much of what he presents to us as a reader is backed up by case studies and testimonials to get his points across. 

     In the pursuit of this goal, he gives us to paths you could potentially follow. The first is to be allowed to remote work from anywhere on the planet. With internet connections available pretty much anywhere this days it is possible to log your work hours in Asia or Europe while your company is based in the U.S. All though I will admit I can't see every boss going for this. The second is to start an online company that requires minimal effort to run and maintain. This too then can be done from anywhere you wish.

    The thing about this book is it's not about you ending up with millions in your bank account. For me, it felt more like that the things you want to do don't actually cost as much as you would think they do. If you sit down and work out the things you want to do then break it down into a monthly figure most things become a lot more manageable. But as with all these things, it does require some sacrifice on your part. Travelling light does seem to be a big part of what is asked of you should you chose to follow this path.  This is more about collecting experiences than physical things. And for some such as me, this does seem like a very appealing thing. 

     This book is very easy to follow and with its mix of information and anecdotes from his life makes it also a fairly quick read. Now I do appreciate his style is not for everyone having seen some others reviews they have had some fairly harsh words to say about him . And for a lot of people his lifestyle is not one they would wish to live. But I think there is still information to be gleaned from the pages for the vast majority of people. ways you can streamline your working day and potentially cut down stress. I must confess that some of his ideas on how to achieve these things I don't think I would complete feeling happy about doing. Maybe I'm just too naive when it comes to the world of business. But if I can implement a few of the less troublesome ones and get a bit more time for travel and generally enjoying life can that be such a bad thing, I don't think so. 

Comments

Popular Posts