Translate

Atheists Who Kneel and Pray by Tarryn Fisher



Author : Tarryn Fisher
Title : Atheists Who Kneel and Pray
Publshed : 2017
Publisher : CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform
Pages : 336
Genre : Romance







     Yara Phillips is a wandering muse. She dates men who need her but always moves on to something new, never staying in one place for very long. David Lisey is in need of a muse. A talented musician lacking lyrical inspiration. When he first sees her, he knows he's found what he's been looking for. Yara believes she can give David exactly what he needs to reach his full potential: A broken heart. David’s religion is love. Yara’s religion is heartache. Neither is willing to surrender, but religion always requires sacrifice.

     This is by no mean my first time in coming to the work of Fisher but it is the first time I have read one of her romance novels. Before I have always stuck to her dark books, more of the psychological thrillers. Books that are full of the darker side of life. But I thought I would mix it up a little this time and choose a book I would not normally go for. Sometimes you have to take baby steps.  But she is an author I have greatly enjoyed so maybe this is the best advice going into a genre you wouldn't normally choose, find an author you trust, and jump in with both feet.

     When it comes to our heroes they are two people who are by no means complete. They are broken and hurt and it bleeds out of them across the page. I suspect we can all see a little of our selves in both of them. But they a very definitely human. The author doesn't set out to give us these two perfectly health beach body people. And to be honest, as this is my first time going into a pure romance novel I think I would have put it down if they were. No matter the genre Fisher has always given me interesting charters. People that not only can I get invested in but also what to know more about. I would not say anything as cheese as to say they complete each other but I would say they bring balance to each other if you know what I mean. and while the author gives little time to giving physical descriptions to her charters I have a perfect image of them in my head. I can see them bot sat at the bar knocking back a cold one in some heated debate. They would be the couple that everyone there knew in some way or another. 

     Fisher's style of writing is definitely in my top five, even if I didn't know she was the author with a few pages I would be easily able to tell you it was her. Her characters are strong-willed and fighters. To some extend the have this self-destructive vein running through them but they are so beautifully written even in their darkest moments. When it comes to David and Yara I haven't known people like them, hell at times I have been both of them to some degree or another. I'm not sure this is particularly a good thing or not but it is a true thing. This is a story of love, that comes from a very broken place. She shows that it is not always such an easy thing. For some it is effortless but for others, it is a fight to the end and messed up bleeding thing. It is fear and torment and beautiful explosions of pure feelings. I think for me this shows a very real and human side to the genre, but as I said it's my first time dipping my toes into the genre. I also always enjoy this pure stream of sarcasm that runs thought the book. She has managed to use it to maximum effect. But once again this all goes back to Fisher's style of writing. It is wholly unique to her in my experience and puts her up there with some of my favorite authors. 

     Atheists Who Kneel and Pray is a book I properly would not have picked up if I had not known the author before going in. It gave me an experience I am not used to when it comes to reading. I found myself thoroughly invested in the love lives of these two people. It's messy and complicated, mostly as in real life at there own doing. It is a book that I enjoyed more than I thought I would and only conitued my faith in this author.

Comments

Popular Posts