Translate

And So It Begins by Rachel Abbott



Author : Rachel Abbott
Title : And So It Begins
Published : 2018
Publiser : Wildfire
Pages : 416
Genre : Psychological thriller







     Cleo knows she should be happy for her brother Mark. He's managed to find someone new after the sudden death of his first wife - but something about Evie just doesn't feel right... When Evie starts having accidents at home, her friends grow concerned. Could Mark be causing her injuries? Called out to their cliff-top house one night, Sergeant Stephanie King finds two bodies entangled on blood-drenched sheets. Where does murder begin? When the knife is raised to strike, or before, at the first thought of violence? As the accused stands trial, the jury is forced to consider - is there ever a proper defence for murder?

     There is always a place for a good psychological thriller in my bookshelf, so when someone suggested And So It Begins to me I thought it might be worth taking a closer look. Now I have never read Rachel Abbot before so I wasn't sure of what to expect but I was hopeful. Which is probably the best thing to be going into a new author. The plot sounded like an intriguing one, but there is always the worry when it comes to books about domestic abuse. Done right it brings out a very real emotional response in the reader. On the other hand, if done badly it becomes a spectacle to throw in the reader's face and diminishes the story that is trying to be told. I was hoping for the former going in.

     There are many characters to get your head around throughout this story. I think the author was aiming to give us the events that transpired from as many angles as was need to have you guessing as to which way it was going to go. I was worried that with so much going on I would not be able to keep track of it all. But after a little while, it all fell into place for me and as I passed from one point of view to another it seems to flow brilliantly. Each one brought up a great deal of curiosity in me as I tried to piece together the hand each one had in this brutal crime. This was made easier by the moving between events before and after the crime. She gave breath and life to each of them allowing me to slowly pull at there wants and desires. There were a few times when I was left to reassess my opinion of someone as the new facts came to light. It is for sure one of those books that like to pull the rug out from under you. And in my reasoning, this is a very good thing for such a book. 

     For me, this book ticked off everything I was looking for in this type of story. The author skillfully moves the reader around the crime in hopes of leading us astray. To which she managed to do more than once. At times it feels like you are falling down the rabbit hole and trying to figure out just what these people are playing at can prove to be tricky. The author creates a swirling cloud around motives and each time you feel it has been pinned down things get a little murkier. It is only with the conclusion of the book do all the pieces finally come into place and make some form of sense. But that is what we bargain on in setting out on such a journey. We want to be bamboozled and led on a merry dance by the author. Such books are a workout for the mind if you are that way inclined. It is the hope that we can beat the author to the conclusion and feel triumphant. But her I had to settle for second place. But this in itself is still an enjoyable thing and when all is finished I was left feeling very satisfied.

     What more can I say about this book, If you want a good psychological thriller then she has hit the bullseye with this one? It is something to escape into and play detective or simply enjoy the ride. The subject matter takes us to the darker side of life and asks the question how far would you go to put something right you felt had gone on for far to long? 

Comments

Popular Posts