Translate

The Russia House by John le Carré



Author : John le Carré
Title : The Russia House
Published : 1989
Publisher : Penguin
Pages : 464
Genre : Spy Thirller







     Barley Blair is not a Serviceman: he is a small-time publisher, a self-destructive soul whose only loves are whiskey and jazz. But it was Barley who, one drunken night at a dacha in Peredelkino during the Moscow Book Fair, was befriended by a high-ranking Soviet scientist who could be the greatest asset to the West since perestroika began, and made a promise. Nearly a year later, his drunken promise returns to haunt him. A reluctant Barley is quickly trained by British Intelligence and sent to Moscow to liaise with a go-between, the beautiful Katya. Both are lonely and disillusioned. Each is increasingly certain that if the human race is to have any future, all must betray their countries.

     I suppose it was the adaptation of his books that got me into reading le Carré. They were so devious but also seem to me to be a touch more realistic than most of the others out in the Spy genre. I think it was last year that I read The Night Manger, It was a book that I absolutely loved so this time whilst scanning my ever-growing to be read pile I decide it might be time to deep my toes back into the world of le Carré. I watched the film adaption of the book many years ago, but being from nineteen ninety I had my doubts as to just how closely it would follow the book. After all, it was a big-budget Sean Connery film.

     One of the things I absolutely love about this author is the way in which he builds his worlds up slowly. Here we get to meet a collection of charters all interlaced with each other. Some are full in the world of espionage others seem to have fallen into in by accident. Our hero does at times seem completely hapless. This is a man through a chance encounter has been drawn into a world he not only doesn't understand but really doesn't want to be a part of. Katya, on the other hand, is looking for a way out. She seems to be hopelessly lost and believe she has no way out of a life that has been decided for her.  In many ways, they are two of a kind just from ether side of the old iron curtain. It is easy to get court up in the dire predicament.  After all do we not all search for not only a better life but also a human connection?

     For me, I am never entirely sure if the world the author portrays is one that ever existed or just a romanticized version of a time and place that no longer exists. What I do know for certain is that he does it very well. He creates intricate and claustrophobic places for his characters to inhabit. It's strange how at times he can take these huge open spaces and make them feel very small indeed. He is also a master at delivering very complicated stories. You can always tell he has taken his time working out where each of the plot elements are going long before you get there. I don't think there is ever a wasted character of a clue in a le Carré. I feel he always wants to challenge his readers and make their minds race in an attempt to work out how it will end. As I said before this is a book that is set in a world that no longer exists, but he knows how to draw you into them he conjures up images in your mind and you know exactly what it looks like and how each of the characters looks to you.  And for me, I felt it all felt so plausible even down to the ending.

     The book was different enough that it held my attention and with every twist and turn I was drawn deeper into this spider's web. I suspect that those who love the modern spy thriller will find this all a little slow-paced.  But this is the point in a le Carré novel you will never get big gunfights and huge Michael Bay explosions. It's a battle of wits, not only between us and the Russian but also the thin friendships between our intelligence service and the Americans. If you want a good slow burner I think this might just be up your street. 

Comments

Popular Posts