Translate

The Abduction by Jonathan Holt



Author : Jonathan Holt
Title : The Abduction
Published : 2014
Publisher : Head of Zeus
Pages : 400
Genre : Crime Thriller







     The girl in the feathered mask was just another Carnival reveler, dancing in the streets at midnight, anonymous in the Venice crowds. So nobody noticed when she was bundled into a van and driven high into the hills. It was several hours later that she was finally reported missing. Captain Kat Tapo, of the Venice police, is considered too headstrong to lead a high-profile kidnap case. But Kat has reasons of her own to mount a secret investigation. What she discovers will rewrite the past... and send shockwaves into the present.

     This is my second time coming to this author. A few years ago I read The Abomination, it was a great book that pulled e into the world he created. For some reason or another, it all slipped from my mind. It was until recently that I remembered this author. So after a quick trip to the book store, I came home with the next book The Abduction.

     Once again we come into contact with a few familiar faces. The core trio is still here and for me, it was a happy reunion. For the most part, this is a distinctly female-driven plot. It is always nice to see the change-up in what is usually a very male-driven genre. When it comes to international intrigue and conspiracy these two women hold there own. I like the way they work together each brings a different aspect to life but forging on with the same drive and determination to get the job done. The author has once again drawn on a deep pool of side characters some more important than others.  He has also given us a great villain to pit out heroes against. With motive that would seem to have spun out from the real world.

     With this book, Holt has gone very deep into the problems of the real world at the time. There were a great many threads here that I have seen on the pages of newspapers over the years. But in an effort to give us something else he has taken on some well-known conspiracy theories. I feel for most people who read this book there will be something that rings a few bells in the back of their minds. I would say that whilst listed as a crime thriller there is a fair amount of political thriller thrown into the mix.  It is safe to say this book much like it's predecessor  kept me glued to the page. I found myself getting lost in the world that whilst at times it skirts the world of what is possible is such a great joy to read. Once again he does not shy away from some harsh truths we have in our world and for me some of these parts where a very brutal to read. I think all good books no matter the genre should ask questions of the reader. How far are we will to go to make a point and who we hurt in the process is by far the biggest theme in this book. And one that left me wondering throughout.

     For me, this book ticked a lot of boxes. It has maybe a little less mystery than the other but I don't feel that was the point. It is driven forward by a great political question. What in all good conscious are we prepared to let our governments do to keep us safe. Is there, in fact, a point when we as the public have to say enough is enough. 

Comments

Popular Posts