Translate

If Only They Didn't Speak English by Jon Sopel



Author : Jon Sopel
Title : If Only They Didn't Speak English
Published : 2017
Publisher : BBC Books
Pages : 400
Genre : Non Fiction / Political







      As the BBC's North America Editor, Jon Sopel has had a pretty busy time of it lately. In the time it's taken for a reality star to go from laughing stock to leader of the free world, Jon has traveled the length and breadth of the United States, experiencing it from a perspective that most of us could only dream of: he has flown aboard Air Force One, interviewed President Obama and has even been described as `a beauty' by none other than Donald Trump. Through music, film, literature, TV and even through the food we eat and the clothes that we wear we all have a highly developed sense of what America is and through our shared, tangled history we claim a special relationship. But America today feels about as alien a country as you could imagine. It is fearful, angry and impatient for change. In this fascinating, insightful portrait of American life and politics.

     Let me start out by saying if you are a fan in any way of Donald Trump this book is not going to be one for you and I will wish you a good day. Much can be said of the press in this day and age. Too often they would seem to lean one way or the other far too much. I suppose the BBC is the polar opposite of Fox news. For the most part, it seems to me that what they report to the best of there knowledge is the truth. I know that during both Gulf wars it was the BBC that both British and American troops tuned into to get the latest on current events.  For me, Sopel seems like a stand-up guy doing his best to bring the latest events in the political arena to us the viewers. I also know that on more than one occasion he has been singled out by Trump as part of the fake news. Although I am starting to suspect that unless you work for fox news that goes for everyone else. 

     For Sopel's part, he sets out to show from his point of view the events that took place in the run-up to Trump's election. He also tries to show how this compares to other high profile political figures he has shadowed on both sides of the pond. I suppose hindsight is a marvelous thing, for many a time while reading this book I would look at something and just go that makes sense. Directly after the election, I think there was still a lot more bewilderment as to what the hell just happened. But should you care to look back on history Trump's election is not too much of a sup prise to far to the left and it springs back the right and vise verses? I give this author his credit he has done his best to give a fair account of the things he witnessed. It still staggers me some of the things Trump has gotten away with. It is also the reason I can not bring my self to read books such as the Fire and Fury. I know before opening the first pages I would be far too angry to be able to focus properly. 

     There is a lot the reminds me of reading a Bill Bryson book within these pages. So I guess what I'm saying is if you like his books you will probably like this one. For me, I think there is a lot to be said about being a foreigner in a strange land. It allows you to see things in a way that native people might not be able to do so. He points off the quirks and foibles we refuse to see in our selves. It strikes me that he never set out to do a hit job on the president, more to give a counterpoint to the endless stream of tweets that Trump seems so keen on. In a world where the news cycle never seems to stop for a single second, this book allowed me to slow it all down. To mull over events that have taken place and give it a bit less of a knee jerk reaction. I suppose we all seem to be very quick to the punch these days. There is also another thing about such books that they allow us to find humor in such things. Sopel brings a light touch in the style he presents his book in, it takes a heavy subject and gives it a little helium.

     This book was an enjoyable read from start to finish and I can't really fault it. He shines a light on the fake news from the fakes news's point of view. If this point in history is of interest to you why not give it a go. 

Comments

Popular Posts