Translate

Gross Anatomy by Mara Altman



Author : Mara Altman
Title : Gross Anatomy
Published : 2018
Publisher : Harper Collins
Pages : 320
Genre : Autobiography







     From the hilarious Mara Altman, Gross Anatomy unapologetically explores the beautiful, and sometimes not so beautiful, aspects of our bodies, and why they're worth loving anyway. From hairy chins to braless outings, lice-infestations to PMS, no body part is left undiscussed as Altman takes the reader on a wild journey from head to toe, recounting experiences most of us are too polite to share. 
Hugely funny and unashamedly body-positive, this book is a must-read for all women (and men, too). Through a combination of personal anecdotes and fascinating research, Mara Altman proves herself as a fearless and thoroughly charming writer, creating one of the most compulsive feminist reads of the year.

     I realize that when embarking on my journey with this book I was not the target audience. If not for a fairly strong shove I would probably not have ever picked a copy up. As blokes, we are all fairly clueless as to what women go through in their daily lives. It for the most part to us is just an accepted fact that women take far longer in the bathroom than us. I have never even questioned why girlfriends have taken so long or what might be going on. It is in part to my shame, not something that has ever occurred. I suppose while both sexes interact on a daily basis we don't really think all that much about the gross bits. In some ways, in reading this book I started to realize that there is a great deal that worries us both about how we appear. 

     Men for there part tend to try and ignore these things we are programmed to bury them deep down and never under any circumstance talk about it. Altman gave me a window into the other side, to show just how much worry and anxiety can build up. This need to outwardly project this perfect image of what a woman should be. Not to mention the constant hunter for a younger look. This overpowering urge to be young again. I think it is one that affects everyone in some part we all wish we could be that young and carefree again. I like that she gives these thoughts over in straight forward and matter of fact ways.  This is someone who doesn't believe in sugar-coating things. It is both heartwarming and also a little frightening. 

     While she does her best to frame each of the chapters in a humors way I found it saddening the worry she inflicts on herself. I suppose there is something to be said for us all feeling alone in this world. The worst part of our selves we feel we suffer alone. It is through the wise wisdom of Altman that we are shown this simply isn't true. While there are a great many situations she describes  I will never experience for myself self I felt she does an amazing job of expressing them to both those who have and those who never will. I don't wish to make out this book is about some sad sake, By far it is the very contrast of that. This is a woman who has come to accept that not all will be perfect but you know what fuck it. It's about accepting our flaws and realizing we are not alone. That the human body is a gross and strange thing, it will always be guaranteed to do the one thing we don't want it to do at the worst possible moment. 

     I want to thank Altman for writing this book, I fully appreciate that when she sat down to put pen to paper, I was never her target audience. But she has opened my eyes to a great deal and also helped me accept a few of my own body's strange quirks. If you have ever questioned your own bodies strange behavior then Altman is here for you. Be it hemorrhoid's to unwanted body hair she's there to hold your hand and let you laugh at just how absurd it all really is when you come to think about it. 

Comments

Popular Posts