Translate

what could possibly go wrong.




Author : Antti Tuomainen
Title : The Man Who Died
Published : 10/10/2017
Pages : 300
Format : Paperback
Publisher : Orenda






     A successful entrepreneur in the mushroom industry, Jaakko Kaunismaa is a man in his prime. At just 37 years of age, he is shocked when his doctor tells him that he's dying. What is more, the cause is discovered to be prolonged exposure to toxins; in other words, someone has slowly but surely been poisoning him. Determined to find out who wants him dead.
 
     When I go away on holiday I never take a book from home. The first thing I do when I get to the airport is find some where selling books and begin mu hunt. Usual I will try and find a book about or by an author from my destination. As this time I was unable to do so I set about looking for something a little different. The description for this book intrigued me a murder mystery from the perspective of the victim who as it turns out is still a live just. Add to this a comedy element and I was intrigued from the get go.  
 
     Jaakko is a man just trying to get by. His mushroom farming business is doing well and he believes his private life is happy. Then one day whilst feeling unwell he takes a trip to the doctors and discovered not only is he dying but he has been pensioned. I like the way he is written he accepts his fate but instead of accepting what has happened and giving up he pushes forward. He has a grim determination to make sure the mushroom company will continue to succeed even after he is gone. At the same time he wants to find out who has done this to him. His supporting cast of family, friends and business partners all with there own motives towards him and the company add to the chaos of his last days.
 
     The author has done a brilliant job in giving us a story that is both dark and funny.  His style is well suited to the story and gives us and enjoyable experience that is quick and fun to follow. There are plenty of twist and turns to keep the story an intriguing one. The crime elements give a good base to the story. While humour we are presented with is a dry one with elements of tongue and cheek thrown in. Which I found added to the story and allowed it to takes some routes that in a more serious novel would not be open. The author come from a good standing having written several critically acclaimed noir noels. This seeps trough in the crime elements of the story which I did not find lacking.
 
     I was happy to spend my time with this book and found it a happy one. This book allowed me to see that the blending of crime and comedy genres could become a perfect mixing pot. Delivering a delicious meal for the mind. I suggest you give it a go and taste for your self.

Comments

Popular Posts