Translate

Freedom is slavery




Author : George Orwell
Title : 1984
Published : 08/06/1949
Pages : 336
Format : Paperback
Publisher : Penguin Books






     Hidden away in the Record Department of the sprawling Ministry of Truth, Winston Smith skilfully rewrites the past to suit the needs of the Party. Yet he inwardly rebels against the totalitarian world he lives in, which demands absolute obedience and controls him through the all-seeing telescreens and the watchful eye of Big Brother, symbolic head of the Party. In his longing for truth and liberty, Smith begins a secret love affair with a fellow-worker Julia, but soon discovers the true price of freedom is betrayal.
 
     So this is a book I've been meaning to read fore the longest time. And recently I found my self on a pilgrimage to the Shakespeare and company book store in Paris. I figured go to such a world renowned place I should obtain a book of equal standing to buy. The thought of a future where every thing we do is controlled is one that has come up time and a again. But I guess they can all stem back to this novel.
 
     I had a little trouble with the charters in this novel. Over all for me they did not seem to have much depth. While they serve there purpose they don't real go much beyond this point. It's a tricky thing to comment on how would I react in there place. Would I be able to break free from the chains that bind us. Winston is faced with some hard choice through out the novel. All ways questioning his state of freedom. Is this something we find our selves doing in the real world. I would like to think so. His ultimate act of rebellion is to fall in love. This is a thing not one of us has control over. So in this act is he real making an active choice to rebel or is it simple his brains chemistry at work  Much like the world he inhabits is there really any choice at all. This may seem like a bleak view but the book in its self gives us a very bleak future.
 
     This is the flip side to the charters and one I'm still trying to come to terms with. The story the author ends up giving us is a brilliant one. Part science fiction part horror story of a place we could end up in. His us of isolation comes across in waves. In a world where we have no freedom of will we are all essentially alone. He demonstrates that the things that bind us together books, art, films, and free speech are how we makes friends and fall in love. The topic held in these pages dug down to the bottom of my mind. Its one that will stay with me for some time. The ending is one that took me to a place I'm still not entirely come back from. While I appreciate there has been much debate as to the true fate of our hero I know which one I have chosen and to be frank I find it to be a fairly terrifying one. This is a world where trust can coast you the ultimate price. Would you be willing to pay it.
 
     Over all the time I spent with this book is one I'm happy to have given it. While I may have had some problems with charter depth the over all story makes up for it. I hope if you give it a chance it is one that will stay with you and question your own freedoms in modern society. In recent years this book has been given as an example of the way the world is heading. How our governments are taking away more and more from us. But I also have to question how much of this have we given up our selves. Allowing the whole world to follow our day to day movements. I hope you will give this book a chance and just maybe it will make you think.

Comments

Popular Posts