Translate

A Sliver of Darkness by C.J. Tudor



Author: C.J. Tudor
Title: A Sliver of Darkness
Published: 2022
Publisher: Michael Joseph
Pages: 352
Genre: Horror / Short Stories







     Timeslips. Doomsday scenarios. Killer butterflies. C. J. Tudor's novels are widely acclaimed for their dark, twisty suspense plots, but with A Sliver of Darkness, she pulls us even further into her dizzying imagination. In "Final Course," the world has descended into darkness, but a group of old friends make time for one last dinner party. In "Runaway Blues," thwarted love, revenge, and something very nasty stowed in a hat box converge. In "Gloria," a strange girl at a service station endears herself to a cold-hearted killer, but can a leopard really change its spots? And in "I'm Not Ted," a case of mistaken identity has unforeseen, fatal consequences.

     C.J. Tudor is an author I have come to complete trust. I know every time I pick up one of her books I will tumble head first into the bizarre and macabre. Her tales have an astounding way of pulling you into their worlds and then creeping up the back of your spine one echoey step at a time. So with this new release, I could not help but grab a copy. I also opted for the signed addition not only is it a nice addition to my library but it also feels great to help out an independent bookstore. So with the nights now having properly drawn in and with Halloween just around the corner surely this is the best time of the year to hunt out some great horror stories to sink your teeth into. 

     Whilst collections of short stories are not my go-to books to read this time around I felt I couldn't miss out. Maybe this is down to my own prejudices, I always feel like just as I'm getting into the stories then they end. I'm left desperate for more without any means to satisfy this longing.  Is this then the point or is it that in a perfectly crafted short we get everything we should ever need from it. I guess that's ultimately up to the individual reader. Either way, it's on to the matter at hand. Tudor has pulled together eleven stories to delight and disturb us. From the get-go, it is easy to see her amazing style at work here. She can conjure up these little bubble worlds that skirt the world between what is possible in the real world and a step just over the line into the shadows.  It's those points that make you feel the icy hand on the back of your neck or that thought of at least you don't have to fight for your life tonight. Each tale is unique but it is obvious that they were penned by the same hand. Her style is unmistakable just as much as you would know you were reading a Steven King even if his name was not on the cover. 

     I think it would be extremely difficult for me to pick out a favorite here. They all have something in them that hooks onto you. And the funny thing is she always manages to do this without the need to throw blood and guts across page after page. For me, it feels that her type of horror much more revolves around getting inside your head. It's this building-up of tension that is key to some of her greatest books. So to see it here compacted down into just a few pages is quite a cool thing. It can be seen so well here in the tale The Block. With just a few short words you can feel the turning of the screw getting quicker and quicker. But then you also have Final Course which highlights that blending of horror and mystery she does so well. You are trying to work out what is really happening to these people trapped in the dark before she can tell you. Which I can tell you is most tricky when it's not so long. And then you have the first tale in this book End of The Liner which definitely for me at least had the vibe of a well-known seventies sci-fi film. So as you can see there is a real raft of tales here and I'm sure you will be able to pick one that suits your personal macabre tastes.

     It is safe to say that I'm glad I decided to grab a copy of A Sliver of Darkness. These eleven tales each manage to give me something and worked so well on these winter nights. Going back to what I was saying at the beginning here I was still left wanting more. And to be honest I think I have come to peace with that. Maybe the point is these little stories give us just a glimpse of these worlds. we get to imagine the rest for ourselves. They are not lacking rather it's like those towns you pass through on long journeys. You think who could possibly live here as you see a flash of people going about their days and a slew of takeaways and shops with strange names. These tales are the people you pass on those dark sidewalks walking as fast as you can. Thinking please don't be a serial killer with your head down and your hood pulled up.  

Comments

Popular Posts