Translate

The Guilt Die Twice by Don Hartshorn



Author: Don Hartshorn
Title: The Guilty Die Twice
Publisher: TCK Publishing
Published: 2022
Pages: 261
Genre: Legal Thriller 
 







     Two estranged brothers represent opposing sides of a high-profile double-murder case in this legal thriller debut. Ten years ago, a capital murder case in the heart of Texas split the Lynch family in two. Conscience-stricken Travis left his high-powered law firm to become a public defender, while bullish Jake rose to become District Attorney. Now, estranged lawyer brothers Travis and Jake Lynch find themselves on opposing sides of an Austin courtroom in a high-profile, grisly double murder case--with another accused criminal's life on the line. Both Lynches are convinced they're on the right side, but the truth turns out to be more complicated--and deadly. A drug deal double-cross turns lethal, killing two college students and leaving one paralyzed. The victim never saw the gunman but he knows one name: Sam Park. 

     First off I would like to thank TCK Publishing for giving me a copy of this book in return for my fair and honest review. Legal Thrillers aren't usually my go-to sub-genre under the crime remit. Of course, I've read a few here and there by the big names and enjoyed them along the way but I tend to like my crime fiction a bit more fast-paced and bloody. Nevertheless, when given the opportunity to read Hartshorn's book I thought I would give it ago. The blurb sounded interesting enough to pique my interest. After all, waring brothers on either side of a courtroom has to bring with it some great tension and a great deal of drama. If I was lucky I would still be able to get my usual dose of an interesting crime thrown in for good measure. 

     From the get-go, the setup works well here. I quickly got to grips with both of these brothers. The author has clearly taken the time to build them both up as unique characters each feeling like well-fleshed-out people.  But we also get to see the little tweaks where they are close to each other than they would probably like. As with most siblings, even those that would rather not talk to each other there are certain elements that are driven into the core of who they are. Speaking as a brother we know deep down they are there even if we will deny it to our dying days.  But that is the point here for me he has done it with a light touch that makes it feel far more real than if they had just become mirrors to each other. What we get here is a dynamic duo even if they are fighting from opposing ends of a case. 

     As for the story itself, I have to say it really worked for me. That may be in part because of all the context that goes around with it. Rather than sending the whole book stuck within the walls of a courtroom, we are taken out into the world to explore not only how one man came to be facing the death penalty but also how these two brothers came to despise each other so much. The world, after all, is a tricky place and matters of one's own moral compass come into play in more ways than we usually give thought to. After all, if you are rich then why take to a career that sits on the other side of the law? For the thrill of it or simply to stick it to the people who raised you. Who can say but as I have seen firsthand both here in my home country and also in the U.S money certainly can pay for a greater amount of justice than if you have come from nothing? I always enjoy seeing how authors tackle such subjects from around the world after all every country has a class system even if it can be taboo to talk about. 

     Overall there was quite a lot to take in here and the author seems to have covered his bases well. On the one hand, we have a solid legal thriller that for me as not the biggest fan of the genre managed to keep me hooked in awaiting the final outcome. And on the other hand, we have a look at how the American legal system does seem to favor thought who come from wealth. It was also an interesting take to see how things were never as clear-cut as you might think. I suppose in part it is usually why we turn to fiction. As readers, we can know with complete certainty who our killers are and what went down. Sadly life is never this clean and it definitely felt to me that the author had tried to weave some of this into his tale. And in the end, it was a book that I enjoyed my time with and would be happy to dive into further installments in the series. 


For more information please follow the links below




Comments

Popular Posts