Translate

The First Apostle by James Becker



Author: James Becker 
Title: The First Apostle
Publisher: Bantam
Published: 2008
Pages: 480
Genre: Mystery Thriller







     An Englishwoman is found dead in a house near Rome. Her distraught husband enlists the help of his closest friend, Chris Bronson, who discovers an ancient inscription on a slab of stone above their fireplace. It translates as 'Here Lie the Liars.' But who are the liars? And what is it they are lying to protect? Pursued across Europe, Bronson uncovers a trail of clues that leads him back to the shadowy beginnings of Christianity; to a chalice decorated with mysterious symbols; to a secret code hidden within a scroll. And to a deadly conspiracy which - if revealed - will rock the foundations of our modern world.

     So this time on I don't remember buying that but it must have been a while ago judging by the dust, I have The First Apostle. For a hot minute in the early two thousand with the release of The Davinci Code religious thrillers were all the rage. You couldn't walk into a book store without seeing if you like that one you will love this one. But over time they seem to have fallen a little out of favor. This sort of boy's own adventure seems to have been replaced with domestic thrillers and a strong thread of modern fantasy. But back then just like everyone else I devoured them with bated breath. Each time getting thoroughly lost in whichever corner they had chosen to pick apart and send their heroes in search of. Now I may not really be a religious person in any sense but a good adventure will pull me time and again. So add in a shadowy organization and a secret that will rock the foundations of, and I'm there with the rest of you. But I guess it's been a fair old while since I've opened the pages of such a book. Enough in fact, for them to grow dust as it would turn out. 

     Now having looked up the author it turns out he has been at this a while with eight books under his belt in this series he must be doing something right. It is also worth pointing out that for once more by luck than any sort of pre-thought I have managed to pick the first one in the series up. I honestly never thought that day would come but anyway moving on. Beckers stable of heroes come out fighting strong. The lead on this merry dance is is Bronson a no-nonsense cop who sees his life torn apart within the first couple of chapters. But this is not going to stop him from finding out why this is happening to him. To say he has a bit of the British bulldog attitude in him is an understatement. This is a man that once he has sunk his teeth into something he ain't going to let go. Becker is also someone who knows his limits, hence bringing among others his ex-wife into the fold. Her expertise proving invaluable in solving a mystery as old as the Christian faith. I do wonder why these sorts of books always revolve around the catholic church but maybe that's with good reason. Anyway, the author has done what any good author should and gets you to care about his leads. As we witness their near-death scapes we bond with them egging them on and hoping beyond hope that they will beat the villains of this piece. 

     I must confess how much I have missed these kinds of books. They are these big blockbuster adventures that see our heroes flying around the globe escaping death or mutilation by the narrowest of margins. I feel that if me or you were to find ourselves in such a perilous situation we probably would be curled up in the corner crying and hoping for it to all be over soon. Anyway, I think what books like this bring to the table is they are genuinely fun to read. Becker builds his world so close to our own but allows for this flight of fancy. It becomes the sort of thing that you go I can just imagine them doing that. This is a story that holds up with each twist and turn it pulled me deeper into this web of intrigue. I found myself racing through each chapter trying to guess how our heroes were going to get through their next scrap. I was hard press to put this book down and in fact, when it came to the final reveals I stayed up way later than I had intended to do so just find out what had been taking place. 

     All in all, this was a book that I truly enjoyed. I feel it's been a good long while since I read a book that I didn't have to take too seriously. This is I suppose one of those perfect holiday books to enjoy around the pool. That withstanding the author has clearly put a great deal of time and effort into crafting this narrative. Maybe that's why it becomes so effortless to read and so completely captivating. Not only do you care about our heroes but you hold your breath along with them as age-old secrets are finally revealed. If it's been a while since you dipped your toe into this genre then I would kindly off this suggestion for your consideration. 

Comments

Popular Posts