Translate

My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite



Author : Oyinkan Braithwaite
Title : My Sister, The Serial Killer
Published : 2018
Publisher : Atlantic Books
Pages : 240
Genre : Crime Thriller







     When Korede's dinner is interrupted one night by a distress call from her sister, Ayoola, she knows what's expected of her: bleach, rubber gloves, nerves of steel and a strong stomach. This'll be the third boyfriend Ayoola's dispatched in "self-defence" and the third mess that her lethal little sibling has left Korede to clear away. She should probably go to the police for the good of the menfolk of Nigeria, but she loves her sister and, as they say, family always comes first. Until that is, Ayoola starts dating the doctor where Korede works as a nurse. Korede's long been in love with him, and isn't prepared to see him wind up with a knife in his back: but to save one would mean sacrificing the other...

     Not so long ago this book was everywhere, you could not enter a book shop without seeing it. At the time I was trying my best not to buy any more new books. But I did make the mental note that when I started again this was a must for me. I am a big fan of serial killer fiction the dark and the bloodier the better. For the most part, these books tend to there take place in America or one of the Scandinavian countries. But you need to branch out and look at things from a different angle, a new take on a not so old story. 

     Throughout the book, we put into the mind of Korede, the long-suffering older sister of Ayoola. It seems there is not much she would not do for her little sister. Determined to protect her at any cost, her own life is more than once put in danger. It was interesting to watch the power dynamic between these two. There is something about the bond between siblings That will in most cases make them go above and beyond for each other. I know there is a great deal I would do for my own brother but when it comes to clearing up murder I might just have to draw the line. And as we see here the more Korede does for her sister the more she expects.  

     I really enjoyed the way in which Oyinkan present her stories. There was no hanging around from the get-go as you are thrown right into the middle of these two's complicated relationships. And that is for me the backbone of this story. Yes, there is killing to be had but it plays out as a second fiddle to just how much Ayoola is willing to torment her sister. How far can she push her before this house of cards falls apart?  Yes, it is a dark place to go to in watching this psychological torment that is inflicted on her. But to my surprise, there was also a great deal of humor to be found within these pages. Maybe there is something sick in the humor shared by a sibling bond. We all know just which buttons to press and things we might say about each other but god forbid anyone else to say such a thing. 

     This was a most enjoyable way to spend a few hours. I can't say it goes as deep as others within its genre but that's not such a bad thing. For me, this book is more about entertainment value after all you already know who did it. 

Comments

Popular Posts