Translate

Daisy Jones And The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid



Author : Taylor Jenkins Reid
Title : Daisy Jones & The Six
Published : 2019
Publisher : Hutchinson
Pages : 368
Genre : Historical Fiction / Music







     For a while, Daisy Jones & The Six were everywhere. Their albums were on every turntable, they sold out arenas from coast to coast, their sound defined an era. And then, on 12 July 1979, they split. Nobody ever knew why. Until now. They were lovers and friends and brothers and rivals. They couldn't believe their luck until it ran out. This is their story of the early days and the wild nights, but everyone remembers the truth differently. The only thing they all know for sure is that from the moment Daisy Jones walked barefoot, on to the stage at the Whisky, the band were irrevocably changed. Making music is never just about the music. And sometimes it can be hard to tell where the sound stops and the feelings begin.

     While books are probably my biggest passion in life a few things do squeeze by a become important. Music is one of those things, there is not a day that goes by that I don't make room to listen to something for an hour or two. Usual whilst I'm reading to be fair. Whilst before my time I remember that a lot of the music that was played in my house growing up was from the sixties and seventies. I have a great love for those bands that went big and gave it everything they had. I am also too aware that it was in living there lives this way that not to many made it out unscathed. But I suppose the point is that music from that time holds a special place for me. So when I read the blurb for this book I leap at the chance to get to know these people and this band even if they weren't real. 

     I would imagine writing a biography about people that have never existed is not an easy thing. Trying to juggle all those voices inside your head may be a feat in and of its self. But within the first few pages of Daisy Jones, something felt a lot like home. These were people I had seen on music films and read about in official biography.  They did not need to lift off the page for me, they were already there. It is so strange for me to come across a book that became so is to read, The book flows just as easy as one of their fictitious songs. And while there is a good chance you can see where its all go and how it's going to end, I think with this book it really doesn't matter. Daisy Jones is not about the destination but rather the journey that gets you there. What would any of the classic rock bands have been if not for the ups and downs that rocked them along the way? 

     As for the story, I think I would be hard pushed not to see a good few similarities between The Six and Fleetwood Mac. Maybe this is down to that mix of both men and women being in the group. Or maybe a few of the stories skirt the edges of said bands' real-life experience. This is in no way taking away from the amazing job Taylor has done in creating this factious band. If it was a straight rip off job what would be the point. This is more a gentle nod in their directions. I could also mention that it has the same vibe as Cameron Crowe's Almost Famous. Both about bands reaching the pinnacle only to then fall apart. Both struggling to deal with the fame and the lifestyle that comes with it. Both of these comparisons really work like an if you like these then you might like this. Daisy Jones much like its heroes blazes its own trail across the sky. I don't think I have ever really wanted to hear music from a band that never was so bad as I do with the Six. The way in which the author gives me these characters and this band  I know I would be front and center if they were able to play a gig. I can almost hear the first few notes.

     Whilst this book would seem to be about all the fame and money and its corrupting influences. Dig a little deeper and what you find is firstly a group of people who were at least for a little while a family. The loved and fought and laughed together through as much as they could take. Secondly is a love for the music, there is a current here that twists and turns but keeps the rhythm ever going.  The author gave me heroes that burnt hot and bright just for music. At the start, it's all that matters there need to play and create the music is their religion. This is the first book in quite some time that has found a place on my forever shelf, and to the author, all I can say is thank you.  

Comments

Popular Posts