Translate

Forty Years of Murder by Keith Simpson



Author : Keith Simpson
Title : Forty Years of Murder
Published : 1978
Publisher : Harper Collins
Pages : 424
Genre : Autobiography







     The late Professor Keith Simpson became the first Professor of Forensic Medicine at London University and lectured on the subject to other doctors, lawyers, police officers, and magistrates at home and all over the world. He pioneered forensic dentistry, and for the first time identified a suspected murderer by teeth marks left on the victim's body. He was responsible for the first successful `battered baby' prosecution in England, and perhaps one of his greatest contributions has been to save the lives of countless babies by disseminating information on the syndrome and getting it recognized and controlled. This is the bestselling autobiography of the man who was always at the scene of the crime. In describing his celebrated investigations he spares his reader's none of the chilling details: the whip-marks, the maggots, the skeletal remains, which proved the innocence of so many men and women...and sent so many more to the gallows.

     I have once again returned to true crime, This time it is with a book that was a long time coming. Way back in the day my Dad knew the author of this book. I suspect it was he who gave him the copy I read. It has always been on a shelf in my parent's house and then on my own. It is yellow around the edges and has that old musty smell to it now. I figured it was just about time for me to take a look and see what it was all about. For me, this is not the first of its type that I have read but it is one of the few to be from my home country. Unlike the others, this is not so much about the science of what they do but rather the cases he came into contact with in his long and varied. And for me at least I think it workers better given the age of the book. while some techniques are still in use today others have moved with the times.  

     The book itself moves along in chronological order starting with the reason for him starting in this field of work. I would say that for the most part a lot of the cases he talks about are now sadly forgotten. There are maybe just a handful that would be recognizable to the casual lover of true crime.  So does this make them any less worthy of our time? For me, I feel the answer is no, While their names have long since faded from the headlines I feel someone should member these victims. It is hard to read about there horrific demises without wondering if that happened to me how long would it be before I to was forgotten. As I said there are a few more well-known names mentioned from the Kray's to Lord Lucan, but I also question how long before these two are lost to time. It is through books like this that many people are remembered for better or worse. What I think stands out with such books is that it is also their victims that are brought to light. Those people that are all to often forgotten when such events take place. 

     For his part, the author gives us enough of each case to get a glimpse into them. I think to some part for readers at the time of first publication a lot more would be recognizable. But for you and me it means doing a bit more digging to find out all the facts of the cases at hand. This is by no means the fault of the author. How was he to know that some twenty-nine years after its publication many of these stories would be long forgotten? To him, these people died in such ways that he would think they would never leave the greater public's consciousness. it took ask of us what crimes have held us captive of late will be completely forgotten in a few years. I will say that the author has done a great job of holding me with these people. It is a difficult thing to bring those of the past to life in just a few short pages and get you interest peeked. 

     I fully realize this book will not be for all, be it the subject matter or simply that it is now a very old book. But for those willing to spend a little time with it I feel you will be greatly rewarded. Not only in the learning of crimes of the past. but also getting to spend time with a man who at one time was at the top of his field. 

Comments

Popular Posts