Translate

Unbroken: An Olympian's Journey from Airman to Castaway to Captive by Laura Hillenbrand



Author : Laura Hillenbrand
Title : Unbroken: An Olympian's Journey from Airman to Castaway to Captive
Published : 2014
Publisher : Ember
Pages : 528
Genre : Biography







     In 1943 a bomber crashes into the Pacific Ocean. Against all odds, one young lieutenant survives. Louise Zamperini had already transformed himself from child delinquent to prodigious athlete, running in the Berlin Olympics. Now he must embark on one of the Second World War's most extraordinary odysseys. Zamperini faces thousands of miles of open ocean on a failing raft. Beyond like only greater trials, in Japan's prisoner-of-war camps. Driven to the limits of endurance, Zamperini's destiny, whether triumph or tragedy, depends on the strength of his will ...

     We all seem to face adversity at one point or another in our lives but for Zamperini what he faced was a whole lot worse. As I read the blurb I had to question how anyone could survive all he went through. My cousin was the one who put me on to this book, he had just finished it and said it was a must read. He told me it made he reevaluate some of the problems he had in his own life from a better perspective. As I started the journey with Zamperini we see him as a child trying to find his way in the world. It is only when he discovers a passion for running that his life would seem to be on the up and up. Even before his life takes a turn for the worse his running leads him to some eventful meetings. Through this first few chapters, we get to learn the sort of man he is and how he ticks. It's a good foundation and allowed me to get to grips with who he is.

     It is only when he joins the air force that his life becomes a whole lot more dangerous. We get to witness how terrifying flying missions in the Pacific. For me, at least reading puts me into the feet of these people and brings to life better than any other medium. This writer does an amazing job at this she takes you right up to the edge and you can feel the fear in these young men. And to there credit, they hold there own much better than I think I could ever. They face death with every mission they take and still manage to hold each other together. But it is on one fateful day that there worse nightmares come true. Shot down over the ocean they become stranded with no hope in sight. Even with this they try there best struggling with starvation and the threat of sharks. But unfortunately for these men, this would prove to be only the beginning of the ordeal.

     Once they are taken prisoners of war the true horrors start to become apparent. As I continued to read the words dug deep into me. I cannot begin to comprehend how anyone could do to another human being what was done to the poor men. The author brings us first hand the blood sweat and tears they endured. With each chapter passed by I wondered how anyone could suffer through so much. The more I read nonfiction about a war the more It breaks my heart as to what truly lies in the depths of the human soul. It is hard for me to put into words what she describes Zamperini was put through. It is such a horrible thing to see what happens when someone sees themselves better than another. Most of what I had read before coming to this book was about the events that took place in Europe. At times it strikes me that what took place in the war with Japan is pushed to one side and not many take an interest in it. But what took place there is just as horrific as that in Europe. 

     I was truly taken aback by this book, You can help but want to root for him as the time passes. I found myself in disbelief as to just how he managed to survive and make it back to those who loved him. But for as much as this is a book is a triumph over adversity his post-war life is still one that could not escape what had happened to him. It's an understandable thing though, as how can you deal with all this and come out unscarred. I can see why my cousin suggested I read this book, after being exposed to everything that happens to him it makes me realize that just maybe some of the things in my life are not quite as bad as I think. We can all learn a lesson or two from this man and others like him.

Comments

Popular Posts