Translate

The Beautiful Truth by Belinda Seaward



Author : Belinda Seaward
Title : The Beautiful Truth
Published : 09/05/2013
Publisher : Hodder Paperbacks
Genre : Contemporary Literature  / Historical Fiction








     Set in Poland in the present and during the Second World War, The Beautiful Truth is an unforgettable novel of families, heroism and of the possibilities of finding late love Catherine never knew her father. A Polish exile, he disappeared when she was a small child, leaving her only a pair of binoculars and a lifelong love of the stars. Now in her forties, she leads a settled academic life in Cambridge - until one day she receives a letter with a Polish postmark from an American film-maker who is in Krakow to research the wartime experiences of his aunt. What Konrad has uncovered will send Catherine on a voyage of discovery not only into Poland's past but into her own history. And what she uncovers there will change her life in ways she could not possibly have imagined.

     Whenever I travel to some far off place, I have developed this habit of buying a book there to add to my library. It's an unusual souvenir and also something I know I will go back to in the future and not only will I get to enjoy the book again but it will also remind me of the trip I took. So while in Krakow I paid a visit to the Massolit bookstore. Its a truly amazing place to go, and should you ever find your self near them you should defiantly pay them a visit, plus they have a great cafe. Anyway while combing the stacks of books I came across The Beautiful Truth. In part I was drawn to it because it was set in the very city I was in, but also the story sounded like the sort of one you could escape into and get lost for a few hours.

     With the book split into two timelines, I got to become acquainted with two amazing women. The author takes her time and allows the reader to get to know them in a manner that feels organic. It is an interesting thing to see how each of them comes to not only find themselves but also within each of their time periods find their place. Catherine seems to be a bit adrift as we start to follow her path, but with the help of a complete stranger, she sees that her life can be so much more. When we move to the past, it's through Krystyna eyes that we bare witness to a coming of age for a young girl as her country is torn apart. She learns what it means to have to grow up fast and also her place in the fight against the Nazis and freedom. These two women's stories create a beautiful balance throughout the story. I think that I learned something from both of them and the way in which the author described them meant they came off the page and I was left feeling that I had met two real people despite them being fiction. 

     The story flows with such an amazing style it felt like it moved with every breath I took. With each of the timelines, I was pulled into there respective worlds feeling fleshed out and full. The way in which she described Poland and Krakow allows the reader to form a great mental image in your head. For me, this became especially true having walked some of the same streets and going to the places she describes. The only way I can really describe it is that it gives you a warm feeling of these places. I realize its a strange way to put it but its the word that first comes to mind. I am not usually one for romantic plots but this author and her story have won me over. It is a story I think will stay with me for a long time after. But while I have used many uplifting words in telling you of this book it is not to say that it doesn't deal with the dark side of Poland's past. It would be hard not to especially when dealing with Krystyna's side of the plot. I think she did this in a manner that was not disrespectful to the topic at hand and gave a very personal look into the horrific events that took place. It is within these blending of joy and horror, past and present that the author shines for me. 

     Overall Seaward has created a truly beautiful book that enlightens as much as it captivates the reader. I got to spend time with two women that are bold and brave for different reasons all the while showing a very human frailty. For me, she has shown an amazing talent for the written word and I look forward to seeing what she has to come.

Comments

Popular Posts