Translate

A change in direction



Author : John Green
Title : Turtles All The Way Down
Published : 10/10/2017
Pages : 304
Genre : Young Adult
Publisher : Penguin







     Meet Aza Holmes. She’s a teenager, bright but hemmed in by troubles: introverted, obsessed by bacteria and the transmission of disease, her every thought is edged by doubt and reflection.  Daisy, however, is her Best and Most Fearless Friend, and Daisy has a plan. A plan involving a missing billionaire and the promise of a hundred thousand dollar reward, money that could be theirs if only they could figure out where he has gone. That’s where Russell comes in, and that’s where things start to get really interesting.

     Despite my original hesitations about John Green I have to admit I have become a bit of a fan of his books. There are certain staples that you know will always be in one of his books. Which for some might out them off, for me though I have enjoyed seeing how he played with these staples of the genre. When it came to Turtles all the way down I was more curious than usual due to him taking on the teen crime genre. It is one that I have found some of my favorite reads of recent times.

     As you would expect we have a story of friends doing something that will change there lives forever, It what you come to expect from Green. It was a little different this time as it focused more on friendship than romantic bonds. Aza and Daisy form the backbone of the book and it was very different experience getting to know the two of them. The way in the which they are written feel genuine and the troubles they go through defiantly tested there friendship.  For me Aza was defiantly the more interesting of the two seeing how she dealt with her OCD anxiety was I think what held my interested. She was someone that fully recognized she had a problem but could not see a way to escape the world she faced.

     This was not entirely the book I was expecting it to be. In part this is down I think to certain place advertising it as a young adult crime fiction. Which to be perfectly honest it's not it is a small part of the subplot of the book. This book was another that focused on a small part of the lives of two friends. It is a story that when you come to the end not so much as happened as you would have expected. With the other books by Green, I was taken on an emotional journey with the characters.   I suppose when dealing with matters of the mind things are always about to get a little philosophical. And this is what I suppose the book is asking of us. The real antagonist in this book come from when the friends come into money. It's how different people cope with this sudden influx and how each cant really works out the other motives.

     This is by no means the best of Greens stories, Somewhere along the lines, I lost some of my interest in the story. It is by no means a bad book and there were some interesting parts to the book, there where also a few moments it did make me laugh. I just felt it didn't add up to something to shout about. the best I can do is say that it was fine.

Comments

Popular Posts