Translate

Every breath you take.




Author : Araminta Hall
Title : Our Kind Of Cruelty
Published : 03/05/2018
Pages : 368
Genre : Psychological Thriller
Publisher : Century 








     Mike and Verity have a special game. The Crave. They play it to prove what they already know: that Verity loves Mike. That she needs Mike. Even though she's marrying another man. Now Mike knows that the stakes of their private game are rising. This time, someone has to die...

     I am a big fan of these kinds of books, they take the everyday and make you question just how safe anyone can be in there own homes. A good psychological thriller can creep up into my brain and stay there for days and weeks after I've finished the book. I was curious to see how this book was going to go as for the most part we are never put directly into the mind of the stalker for a whole story. Is this a place you would really want to spend any time?

     It is hardly a big surprise that the lead in this book is not a likable person. He is, after all, stalking Verity in some attempt to win her back. It is a strange place to find your self in as a reader. It would be nice to think that there was at least one redeemable feature to him. there is however not how could there be. He is someone who's obsessions has taken the bus to crazy town and gone steaming straight over the edge. In some ways, I think this would have been less effective if the author had not chosen to put us inside Mike's head. It is this discomfort that she produced in me that made me push on through the pages. I found myself trying to pull apart each thing mike told me trying to figure out how much of it was happening and how much was just how he thought events took place.

     This is also a book of subtleties it's the little ways in which the author toys with us. There are times when you feel that just maybe Mike is telling the truth when it comes to his story of Verity, is this just some big game she is playing with him. Which in and of its self is difficult to tell from the way Mike paints our picture of her. This then, in turn, shows just how great the author is in writing this kind of novel. She twists how you view the story and while you can never feel a connection to Mike you find yours self-wanting to know how it turns out.

     As it turns out this was not entirely the book I thought it was going to be when I started it. I guess this is more down to my expectations and other books that I have read about stalkers. the authors' style makes it a quick read, and you get to spend just the right amount of time with Mike that you would ever want to. While I might not keep this book for long now I have read it, I enjoyed the time I spent with it. 

Comments

Popular Posts