Translate

I think of all the years gone by.



Author : Harlan Coben
Title : Home
Published : 15/06/2017
Pages : 416
Genre : Mystery Thriller
Publisher : Arrow






     For ten long years two boys have been missing. Now you think you've seen one of them. He's a young man. And he's in trouble. Do you approach him? Ask him to come home with you? And how can you be sure it's really him? You thought your search for the truth was over. It's only just begun. 


     Once again I find my self-spending some time with this author. I've been slowly working my way through this authors back catalogue. For me, his books are easy to get on with and I usually make my way through them in a couple of days. This time it's back to his main staple With the newest adventures of Myron and Win. 

      When it comes to our eponymous heroes you usually know what you going to get. Myron, we walk the line and be the good hero and Win will usually cross several lines in his pursuit to help out his friend. This time, however, we get thing shaken up a little more. The author decides to devote a little more time to Win, And I have to say for me it made a big difference to the way the book played out. It was a great change of pace to get inside his head for a change. For most of the other books win is a man very much of action and others tend to suffer for it. Not that they usually don't deserve by any mean. Here though we get a glimpse into the why of his actions. For me, it allowed for much more charter development in someone who you think you have come to know. And also to my surprise, this allowed for a greater development in who he is. This is a man who is starting to question how he lives his life and to some extent the action he chooses to take. But only a little, there is still a lot of the old win we have come to love left. 

     As for the story, it's self once more the author took me on a path I was not entirely expecting.  I felt like more heart was to be found within these pages. Maybe this was down to the direct connection in the case between the missing boys and Win. While we get our usual dose of high-speed action and lives in danger there where also great questions asked of us as the reader. The very nature of family bonds and how far we are willing to push our selves in the hunt for the truth. At times this leads to very emotional chapters that dig deep down into us.  This comes out more in the now teenagers involved in the cases. Having yet to learn how to hide their emotions as adults tend to do. This is definitely one of the strong points of the novel in watching how they play off each other. It works to build tension and also allows us a great deal of vulnerability from this group. As I read this book I was treated to a great deal of the hard and fast elements of these books that I have come to love over the past few years. And for some this may be a detractor for reading the books. But for me, i have never been bothered by this. However this time the author managed to bring something new, allowing his charter to breath outside of there usual well-defined rolls. A great addition was also found in bring in the leads from his spin-off young adult series. While this usually would feel slightly stilled here the blend in seamlessly with the adult counterparts. 

     This book is another in the series I had a great pleasure in reading. For me they kind of feel like that comfy old sweater you wear. You know what you're going to get, their thrills and spills. Someone's life will forever be in danger and Coben will chuck a few twists our way to keep things interesting and Win will more than likely end up killing someone. And for me, that's why I love them so much. Here though he upped his game and left me with what felt like a deeper novel about the nature of home and family. 

Comments

Popular Posts