Translate

Long Forgotten




Author : Tess Gerritsen
Title : I Know A Secret
Published : 10/08/2017
Pages : 336
Format : Hardback
Publisher : Bantam Press







    
     In a house decorated with horror movie posters, a young woman’s body is found. She lies on her bed, two bloodied objects clutched in her palm. Detective Jane Rizzoli and Forensic Pathologist Maura Isles are called to the murder scene, but even faced with this gruesome sight they are unable to identify the immediate cause of death. Their investigation leads them to a high-profile murder case that was seemingly solved years before. But when another body is found in horrific circumstances, the link between the two victims is clear. Was the wrong person sent to prison? Is the real killer out there right now, picking off new targets? One woman knows the killer is coming for her next. She’s the only one who can help Rizzoli and Isles catch him. But she has a secret that she has to keep . . .
     I have to start out by saying I haven't picked up a Rizzoli & Isles book before. But hey there's nothing like start way into the series right? So I was drawn in by the description long buried secrets and possibly the wrong person send to prison kind of sounds interesting right.  Now I'm aware that this series is very big and even spawned a TV series. I am once again way behind on this but I thought I would give this one a ago and hope that I would be able to catch up on what was going on.
     I'm a big fan of female lead police procedural books and this one defiantly lived up to what I was hoping for. These two have a chemistry that plays well of each other even without much background knowledge on my part. She seems to have built up a friendship that would appear to be unbreakable. It felt to me more like a bond of sisters than that of friends although this may be the case of people who have known each other for along time. I enjoyed the way they bounced ideas off each other to try and come to a conclusion as to what was going on in this case. This is also seems to be true in the personal live where they each have each others backs. The guest player she has chosen to enter in to this story add a lot of mystery to the plot. Each is holding on to secrets which they all seem reluctant to let go. This story brings their pasts bleeding across decades  and into the light. She manages to show how much people will fight to try and keep things dead and buried.
     The author has a very easy style of writing to get on with and I found the pages flying by. She manages to blend several genre's in this book from mystery and thriller to horror. The descriptions she gives of each of the crimes are brilliant in there bloody and macabre details. All the while managing to give as a tightly written thriller. I also liked all the medical details given I think this brings the book into the real world. The crimes committed in these pages are I would think far from real life but they never stray into the absurd. With each passing chapter I was desperately trying to figure out who our perpetrator was. But the author was always one step ahead of me giving just enough to lead me on a new path. She also brings up the subject of false memory's And how group mentality can drive these story's forward. I find it interesting how if some one tells you a story or asks you a question enough that you begin to think certain events took place. In the case of this story it deals specifically with cases of child abuse. How can you sort out which are real and which are said because the child in question thinks this is what an adult in a position of authority wants to hear. Its a topic the author handles with much skill if nothing else it drew me from one suspect to another. By the time I reached to conclusion I had to stop and take a breath. Its ending so beautifully elegant and yet left me reeling from all the lives it tore apart on its path.
     I'm sure I will be enticed back to this fictional world soon. for the most part I 'm curious to see how our two Heroines came to be where they were in this one. Overall this was a most enjoyable read you could curl up on a winters night and get engrossed in the plot and not worry to much about the outside world. Yes there are some nasty subjects discussed in its themes but it weaves a great narrative which kept me on my toes. In some strange way it felt like a game of guess who only with each character ticked of the list of suspects another body was left in its wake.

Comments

Popular Posts